Management and Staff
The cooperative will ensure that managers are responsible, capable and qualified. The cooperative also supports ongoing training of staff especially through National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) routes. This ensures that staff are competent and trained to do the job they do. Additional to this, the cooperative ensures staffs appropriateness for the work through recruitment and selection processes, in line with the Domiciliary Care National Minimum Standards.
The Registered Manager is a co founder of the company, which was set up in February 1994 and is the Managing director. She has gained her Registered Managers award level 4 as well as having over fifteen years of actual hands on experience in helping to run the company successfully. She is a qualified assessor and is able to assess carers up to NVQ level 4. She has also completed her training for trainers in manual handling so again she is able to teach and assess carers in this field.
The co-operative operatesss in three different areas and there is an in-house Manager for each area; who also have directorship for their particular area. The Managers have all gained their NVQ Level 3 and will be shortly working towards their NVQ level 4; also two of the Managers have completed their assessors A1, A2 award and training for trainers in Moving and Handling certificate. Each area also have team leaders who have completed/or are working towards their NVQ level 3. Both the Managers and Team Leaders have completed their Level 2 in Risk Assessment and Foundation training in Health & Safety in the workplace. They are also computer literate.
The Care Workers:
We have a rolling programme, where we provide
- Induction programme which is in line with the ‘common induction standards’, includes discussions on policies, protocols and procedures, especially covering confidentiality, data protection act, incident reporting, complaints procedure, and medication.
- Shadow training for potential new carers
- Statutory Training e.g. back management, moving and handling, hoist training, infection control, principles of food hygiene, health & safety and emergency 1st aid.
- Training sessions on Practical care, diet and healthy eating, continence, disability impairment, visual impairment, communication, dementia, bereavement, HIV aids, MRSA, abuse and any other subject that may interest or be of use to our carers.
- NVQ Level 2 and 3 are offered to our care workers. We have at present 66% of the workforce who have gained or are taking level 2, and some of which have upgraded to level 3.